IAG Stage 4 Tuff EJ25 Subaru Closed Deck Short Block For WRX, STI, Legacy GT, Forester XT
The IAG Stage 4 Tuff Short Block starts with brand new Subaru 2.5L engine case halves. IAG machines the case halves assembled together in our Haas VF-4SS CNC mill to accept the IAG CLOSED Deck Inserts that transform the block into a solid deck. The unique inserts feature small passages that allow needed coolant flow to the deck surface. The case halves are then CNC machined for our new Fire-Lock head gasket solution that is loosely derived from diesel technology where a counterbore step is machined around each cylinder bore allowing specially sized fire rings to drop into the machined area and head gasket bores. The Stage 4 Tuff case is then drilled and tapped to accept 14mm head studs that combined with the IAG Fire-Lock head gasket set greatly reduces head gasket failure during high cylinder pressure scenarios. Next, the short block is Deck Plate bored and honed to 99.75mm in our in-house Sunnen SV-30 the most advanced automotive cylinder hone available. IAG‘s in-house honing process is able to set custom piston to wall clearances to best fit your needs. The modified case halves are then assembled using a new 2017+ Subaru 2.5L nitride treated STI crankshaft that is matched to ACL or King race main bearings. Custom IAG TRI-BEAM +2mm connecting rods by Manley and ARP 625+ rod bolts are utilized along with ACL or King race rod bearings. The case halves are sealed with new OEM main/case bolts and sealant (upgrading to ARP mains requires line honing). Finally, IAG-Spec 99.75mm JE FSR 2618 Forged Pistons with electroless nickel plated tops and ring area as well as upgraded .250" / .906" H13 wrist pins are added to finish the Stage 4 Plus block. IAG‘s custom pistons feature a lightweight design while increasing strength where you need it and are designed to work exclusively with the IAG +2mm Tri-Beam connecting rods. The wrist pin is short and is made from H13 tool steel and the pin piers are profiled to increase pin boss strut. IAG‘s pistons feature a 25% larger oil ring for reduced oil consumption and added gas ports that aid ring sealing in high boost conditions.
Stage 4 Tuff Closed Deck Includes:
- Case Halves - Converted to Closed Deck using brand new Subaru OEM case halves, bored and honed to 99.75mm.
- Fire-Lock - IAG Fire-Lock receiver groove machining, latest solution to prevent head gasket failure on high horsepower and high boost Subaru's - *IAG Fire-Lock head gaskets required
- Head Studs - Machine case to fit 14mm head studs - *Head studs sold separately
- Pistons - IAG-Spec JE FSR 99.75mm 2618 Forged Pistons, Electroless Nickel Plated Tops & Ring area, Ring Set, .250" / .906" H13 Wrist Pins, Clips, (Perfect Skirt Coating and Offset Wrist Pins)
- Connecting Rods - IAG-Spec Tri-Beam +2mm w/ ARP 625+ Rod Bolts.
- Rod / Main Bearings - ACL or King Race bearings.
- Crankshaft - Standard New Subaru Nitride Treated 2017+ STI Crankshaft.
- Case / Main Bolts – Standard FHI Subaru case bolts.
Additional Options Available:
- Oil Pump - Subaru JDM High Volume Oil Pump or Subaru 11mm Oil Pump
- Head Gaskets - IAG Fire-Lock .051" Head Gaskets with IAG-Spec Alloy Ring Set* Required for use with this short block
- Head Studs - IAG / ARP Spec 14mm head studs, nuts, and washers
- IAG Oil Pickup - Upgraded oil pickup featuring heavy gauge steel tubing, 2 point bracket & mesh filter - (PN# IAG-ENG-2081)
- IAG Oil Baffle - Upgraded oil control baffle and windage tray - (PN# IAG-ENG-2087)
- IAG Oil Pickup & Baffle Set - Upgraded oil pickup, oil control baffle, and windage tray - (PN# IAG-ENG-2100)
- Hardware / Seal Option - (PN# IAG-ENG-1720) Wrist pin plugs, washers, separator cover, bolts, etc. In case you don’t want to transfer from the original engine.
- 8.5:1 on D Cylinder Heads (EJ255)
- 8.2:1 on B, V and W EJ257 Heads with standard thickness gasket.
Head Gasket Required:
- *IAG Fire-Lock .051" Head Gaskets with IAG-Spec Alloy Ring Set* PN# IAG-ENG-1740
*All IAG short blocks are balanced and blueprinted.
Oil Pickup / Oil Control Baffle / Windage Tray Options:
The IAG Performance Subaru WRX / STI oil pickup was designed by Tigwerks to replace the OEM EJ25 oil pickup, which is prone to failure. It’s a well-known fact that the OEM oil pickups often crack and fail which, in most cases, destroys your engine from lack of oil pressure. To avoid the cracking failures seen in the OEM oil pickup tubes, the Tigwerks oil pickup is manufactured from heavy-gauge steel tubing that is 3x thicker than OEM. Additionally, it features a flange machined from 3/8” 1018 CR steel to mate with the block, sealed with a Viton O-ring. The integrated heavy-duty mounting bracket uses two mounting points rather than the OEM single mounting point. Furthermore, the oil pickup features a formed bottom with an OEM style mesh screen for proper filtration. The TIG-welded oil pickup's increased material thickness, matched with the two-point heavy-duty mounting bracket, helps ensure that it does not fatigue and fail over time like an OEM unit.
The IAG Oil Control Baffle and Windage Tray System is designed to limit potential blow-by and prevent oil starvation in your Subaru’s WRX / STI EJ engine during high rpm and high g-force driving. Through the use of Viton one-way flapper valves on our baffle and louvers in our windage tray, oil is prevented from reentering the upper crankcase area and is directed down into the oil pan to ensure plentiful supply to the oil pickup. IAG’s integrated two-piece Oil Control Baffle and Windage Tray System is designed to work with our own oil pickup, as well as other oil pickups*. The baffle fits neatly in the engine crankcase area, allowing normal installation of the OEM oil pan and popular aftermarket pans*.
Oil Pickup & Baffle Install Notes
- EJ20 Subaru WRX engines require EJ25 oil pans for fitment
- IAG oil pickup spacer (Part# IAG-ENG-2081SP) is required when using IAG oil pickup with Killer B Oil Pan.
- *Does not work with Moroso oil pans or pickups
Hardware / Seal Option:
Subaru EJ25 Seal Kit
Not planning on reusing your original short block service plugs and covers? IAG offers a simple comprehensive cover and seal kit that includes (1) Rear main seal, (3) OEM wrist pin plugs, (3) OEM wrist pin plug washers, (1) OEM separator cover, (6) OEM separator cover bolts, (1) OEM wrist pin service cover, (1) OEM wrist pin service cover O-ring and (2) OEM wrist pin service cover screws. *If you are reusing your original wrist pin service plugs and covers always replace the (3) OEM wrist pin plug washers and (1) wrist pin service cover O-ring before installing a short block to avoid potential leaks. *Never reuse a rear main seal on a new short block.
Availability: Usually Ships in 1 to 2 Weeks
The car parts world is still feeling the impact from the Covid buying spree and shut down. Thanks to amazing customers like you, we are currently experiencing a high volume of orders and shipping may be delayed. DRP remains fully committed to pursuing the completion of your purchase within a reasonable manner under the current circumstances. You can always contact our customer service via email with questions, or to check for availability! Please note: Not all orders will experience a delay, however, we want to continue to be as open and transparent as possible should you experience a longer than average order processing time. As a small business, your continued support means the world to us and your choice to shop with us has made a huge impact and we greatly appreciate you and your understanding!
Please note: Not all orders will experience a delay, however, we want to continue to be as open and transparent as possible should you experience a longer than average order processing time. As a small business, your continued support means the world to us and your choice to shop with us has made a huge impact and we greatly appreciate you and your understanding!
This product can expose you to chemicals including Lead, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov